Hand Painted Kitchens
Why Hand Painted Kitchens?
The main benefit is the cost saving compared to a new installation plus it also allows you to incorporate your own individual design ideas.
To replace a small kitchen would typically cost in the region of £5000 and to install a large high end kitchen would cost £10000 to £20000 or more.
If you are happy with the quality, layout and functionality of your kitchen then by simply changing the colour and adding new worktops, handles and tiles you can have a beautiful and revitalised kitchen for a fraction of the cost of a full replacement.
Thorough preparation coupled with the use of professional equipment and high quality paints can breathe new life into a tired kitchen.
Procedure For Hand Painting A Kitchen
A lot of time, care and attention goes into every hand painted kitchen. Around 75% of the entire process is given to preparation and attention to detail.
A typical hand painted kitchen procedure will involve:
- Mask off all worktops and flooring
- Clean/degrease all surfaces to be painted
- Remove doors and drawer fronts taking care to number each one
- Sand down doors and drawers using Festool sanders and dust extraction unit
- Hand sand door and drawer profiles, end panels, cornices, pelmets and kick boards
- Vacuum all surfaces and wipe down with pro-finish tack cloths
- Apply first coat of high-adhesion primer (usually tinted to colour of finish coat)
- When dry, de-nib surfaces then fill all gaps and holes with fine filler applied with a knife/blade to maintain sharp edges and profiles
- When filler has dried sand down, then vac and wipe down with tack cloths
- Apply second coat of tinted primer
- When dry de-nib, vac off and wipe down with tack cloths
- Apply first top coat of chosen oil or water-based paint
- When dry de-nib and apply second top coat
- Re-hang all doors and drawers
- Remove lining paper and tape then a final clean and tidy up
Click Hand Painted Kitchens Rossendale Lancashire to read a blog post detailing an actual project.
What Type Of Kitchens Can Be Hand Painted?
I can apply a hand painted finish to oak, pine, cherry, chestnut, MDF / poplar as well as foil wrap laminate.
What Paints Are Used?
For hand-painted kitchens I normally recommend water-based paints from companies such as Little Greene, Mythic and Tikkurila. These companies offer superb, durable, chip and abrasion resistant finishes.
How Much Does It Cost?
To prepare and hand-paint a kitchen will usually cost between £750 and £3000.
The price is calculated based on the size and number of doors, drawers, display shelves, wine and plate racks etc.
As a guide, a small pine or oak kitchen consisting of around a dozen units would cost in the region of £900 (inclusive of labour and materials).
To arrange a free consultation please call me on 07528 380326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fine Finish, 436 Holcombe Road, Helmshore, Rossendale, Lancs, BB4 4LX